HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ON REFERRAL SCHEME
WHAT IS THE HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ON REFERRAL SCHEME?
The Referral Scheme is run by Active Lifestyle Centres in partnership with local GP surgeries, and aims to support people with medical or long-term conditions to become more active.
If your doctor or health care professional has referred you to our scheme, it is because they know your health and quality of life will benefit if you lead a more active lifestyle.
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
After an initial consultation with a professional Referral Specialist, you will be given the opportunity to take part in a personalised activity programme. This will take your medical conditions and ability into consideration.
One of our professional Referral Specialists delivers the programme, offering support and motivation as well as sharing their knowledge to enable you to become more active independently.
Activities available include:
- Strength Training
- Specialised classes
- Group Exercise Classes
- BodyTone Toning Tables
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
There are many physical and mental benefits for those who take part in the referral scheme, these include:
- More energy
- Improved mood
- Improved quality of sleep
- Controlled weight
- Stronger bones, muscles, and joints
- Lower risk of osteoporosis
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower blood cholesterol
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduced risk of some cancers
- Reduced risk of heart attack
- Lower risk of injury through falls
- Better recovering following a period of hospitalisation or bed rest
HOW CAN I JOIN THE SCHEME?
You can be referred either by your Health Professional or by a GP. Individuals need
to meet the following criteria:
- Participants must be aged 18+.
- Meet at least one of the Clinical Inclusion Referral criteria. Your GP, Health Professional, or Healthy Lifestyle Manager will confirm this.
- Be sufficiently motivated and wanting to increase their physical activity levels.
- Be inactive, not currently meeting the Chief Medical Officer’s recommendation for physical activity of 150 mins per week.
IS THERE A COST?
There is a very small initial consultation fee and activities are provided at a vastly reduced cost.
FIND OUT MORE
To find out more about the scheme please complete the fields below and a member of our Healthy Active Lifestyle Team will be in touch.
We will retain your details in order to contact and deliver a service to you. Further details about how we manage your data can be found in our Privacy Notice which can be found online at www.activecentres.org/policies