HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ON REFERRAL SCHEME
Our referral scheme has been created to help and support people with medical or long term conditions become more active. The scheme is being delivered at selected Lifestyle Centres in partnership with selected GP surgeries.
If you have been referred to the Healthy Lifestyle Referral Scheme by your doctor or health care professional, it is because they know your health and quality of life will benefit if you lead a more active lifestyle.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF BEING ON THE SCHEME?
There are many physical and mental benefits for those who take part in the referral scheme, these include:
- More energy
- Improved mood
- Improved quality of sleep
- Controlled weight
- Stronger bones, muscles and joints and at lower risk of Osteoporosis
- Lower blood cholesterol level
- Lower risk of type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower risk of injury through falls
- Reduced risk of heart attack
- Better recovering following a period of hospitalisation or bed rest
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER MY APPOINTMENT?
Our Healthy Lifestyle Referral Specialist will continue to supervise, support, motivate and promote healthy lifestyle changes, as well as increasing your knowledge and confidence to become more active. In order to benefit from these lifestyle changes you will be expected to attend for a minimum of 12 weeks.
6 week and 12 week appointment reviews take place during the scheme, with further active lifestyle reviews at 6 months and 12 months.
WHAT DOES THE SCHEME PROVIDE?
The scheme takes your medical conditions into consideration and provides you with specific exercise advice and support based on your health.
People, who qualify for the scheme, are booked in for a 1-2-1 appointment with a professional Healthy Lifestyle Referral Specialist. During this appointment our specialist carries out assessments, and evaluates your ability to carry out different exercises, in order to develop a tailored activity programme.
The appointment and activities take place Active Lifestyle Centres.
HOW CAN I JOIN THE SCHEME?
The referral scheme is only available at participating surgeries. You can either be referred by your Health Professional or GP.
Individuals need to meet the following criteria:
- Meet at least one of the Clinical Inclusion Referral criteria. This will be confirmed by your GP, Health Professional or a Healthy Lifestyle Manager.
- Registered with a participating General Practice in South Gloucestershire.
- Be inactive (not currently meeting the Chief Medical Officer’s recommendation for physical activity of 150 minutes per week).
- Sufficiently motivated to want to increase their physical activity levels.
- Participants must be an adult aged 18+.
- There is a small charge for this service.